Health and Well-Being
A Healthy School is one that promotes physical and emotional health by providing accessible relevant information which equips pupils, staff and families with the skills and attitudes to make informed decisions about their health. From recent media coverage there is increasing concern about rising rates of obesity, tooth decay and related health problems in children. As a school it is part of our responsibility to help our children learn how to live a healthy lifestyle.
- To promote a whole school approach to a healthy lifestyle.
- To provide freshly cooked nutritious school meals in line with the School Foods Standards.
- To encourage children and staff to make informed decisions on a healthy lifestyle based on positive attitudes and up to date information.
- To create a safe environment for working and playing both inside and outside.
- To provide high quality Physical Education and School Sport and promote Physical Activity as part of a lifelong healthy lifestyle.
- To develop the teaching of Food Technology aspect of the Design and Technology Curriculum with regards to Healthy Eating and to monitor this to ensure progression of skills.
- To provide children with more choices as to how they use their playtime by the development of the school grounds and Fitbod play leaders.
- To encourage children to choose a healthy snack and promote the ‘Fruit for Schools’ initiative by encouraging all children to eat one portion every day at break/snack time.
- To highlight the importance of drinking water by encouraging all pupils to have a water bottle in school.
- To give pupils a voice to influence change through our School Food Ambassadors programme, House Captains, Kindness Champions, Youth Summit, Dementia Friendly team and School Council.
- To help children develop greater confidence, motivation, self-esteem and have the skills, information and understanding to make important life and health choices.
- For children to learn how to develop good relationships and respect the differences between people.
- To increase staff awareness, knowledge and confidence in understanding and promoting children's mental health and wellbeing
Meditation with Miss Elsdon!